Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Do you HyperMile?

What in the heck is hypermiling you ask?

It is a method of increasing your car's gas mileage by making skillful changes in the way you drive, allowing you to save gas and thereby have an easier time withstanding the rising oil and gas prices.



I was first introduced to hypermiling a few years ago and to some extent have been practicing it ever since. You don't have to have a hybrid or small car to save a few gas bucks. Hypermiling works with any type of car because it is the way you drive it. It's easy and it makes me feel good that I'm doing my small part to prolong my gas tank.

If you google hypermiling you will find many tips and even videos on the best methods. Today I'll share with you what I do as I'm driving along.

Go the speed limit ~ I know this may be hard for some of you but driving 75 mph instead of 65 mph will lower your car's fuel economy by 10 percent. Driving 70 mph instead of 55 mph will lower your car's fuel economy by 17 percent!

Coast instead of breaking ~ As soon as you see a stoplight ahead turn yellow or is red, immediately take your foot off the petal. Try not to have to get to a complete stop. Plan ahead to determine what traffic lights are coming up and change speed accordingly. ~ Another way I use coasting is the drop off line at school. As I'm inching forward waiting for my turn, I don't put my foot on the petal but coast slowly up to my next spot.

Take off slowly from a full stop ~ It's not a race from the start position. Just this one adjustment will have dramatic effects on your gas mileage!

Cruise Control ~  I use it anytime I'm on a long, or even semi-long, stretch of road. Give your foot a break!

Lightening the Load - Do not keep heavy items in your car. Take out extra sports equipment, beach chairs, anything you don't use on a daily basis. I know someone who took out all of her car mats when she went on a road trip!


Don't leave the car running ~ For every two minutes a car is idling, it uses the same amount of fuel it takes to go about one mile. If the car will be in idle for more than 10 seconds turn it off!

Pull through the parking space so you are facing out ~ This is a funny one but it takes less gas just to drive forward when leaving then to back out.

Check Tire Pressure ~ Every month. Under-inflated tires are responsible for nearly 3.3 million gallons of wasted gasoline everyday. Digital gauges are the best because they are easiest to use and most accurate.

I've come kind of obsessed with seeing how long I can go on a tank of gas. I have records in my head that I try to beat. Now if I could only get Hubby to drive as well as I do :)

Do you think you will give these tips a try and become a hypermiler yourself?

5 crunchy comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this post, I even had to tweet it! I'll try these tips starting today!

April said...

thanks for the follow! i'm returning the favor.... love your cute blog design - LOVE it! i would love to keep my speed down, but nannying 3 girls ranging from 4yrs old to 14yrs old plus my 7month old..... we are typically running late :)

best,
april

www.marineparents.blogspot.com

Julie Kieras said...

That is so cool! I am definitely tweeting this post!
I have heard of this before but never really got the full explanation! I am going to try some of these (I think I think a stop light is the starting line of a race! haha!)

Sara said...

Following you back from the Green Blog Hop and I LOVE this post! I do some of it already, but I am bad about racing to start at stop lights. Will quit that now! Thanks for the great tips!
Sara @
http://www.familyorganic.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Love these tips! I do most of them but hadn't ever thought about the pull through parking spaces. That makes total sense. I always park in the farthest spot of the lot because I like the exercise ... now I'm going to search out the farthest pull through spot. Brilliant!

Love your blog (I'm following & subscribing). And thanks for stopping into Reduce Footprints! :)